Background

Sunday, January 23, 2011

Good News, Bad News

So on Thursday I went in to have my blood drawn for a bunch of tests to be done prior to my first appointment on Friday.  A few hours prior to my appointment I get an email saying my lab results are available.  I check and my HCG is 2687!!!!  This is very low for 7w3d, so of course I start to freak out.  I tried concentrating on work, yeah right.  Then I started having flashbacks to my miscarriage in July . . . so I went to the restroom, the only place I could think of where I could be alone, well kinda.  And, well since I am pregnant I always seem to have to pee . . . and like always, I checked after I wiped - nothing, whew.  I dont know why I would have spotted right after getting my blood test results, but I clearly wasnt thinking straight.  I started letting my mind wander into what is going to happen thoughts . . . and I started to tear up, but no tears fell.  Hmm, I did feel better but not sure why.  Maybe that was my instinct knowing that I did have another heartbeat inside of me, who knows.

So I go in for my appointment and the nurse that checks you in was all happy and excited and congratulated us, although I was still worried I went along with it.  When she was going over my chart I mentioned that I thought my HCG was a little low and she kinda got less happy then.  We only had a short wait for the Nurse Practitioner to come in.  She kinda barged in and seemed a little irritated we were there . . . um, we are the reason you have a job, but whatever.  I explained that I saw my HCG numbers and she proceeded to do the exam and ultrasound. 

The ultrasound was OK - I started to see the baby - but I didnt see any movement or anything that looked like a heartbeat at first.  She zoomed in and I saw movement . . . but held back getting excited.  She did a measurement . . . 6w1d . . . hmmm.  Then she switched to heartbeat mode . . . and we heard the heartbeat.  I started to tear up,  but held back.  And then she said, let me make sure that isnt your heartbeat - ok, Cyndee, dont get excited.  She measured the heartrate and it was 135pbm.  She didnt say much, and I later asked her if the hb was mine . . . and she seemed annoyed and said no, unless your hb is 135 and proceeded to feel my pulse.  I was not happy with her bedside manner.  She did later say it was a viable pregnancy but that we will have to wait and see what happens.  So the good news is there was a heartbeat, but the bad news is my HCG is low and the baby was measuring small.  Again, I did not like her bedside manner, but the doc that I really like is out on medical leave - I have to find out when she is scheduled to return.

So the plan is that I get my HCG retested which I did yesterday at a little over 48 hours, although I know that when your numbers are over 1200 or so that the doubling is every 72 hours.   But I am curious to know what the numbers are and just hope that they are going up and the little bean is ok.  I also have an appointment for an ultrasound from the radiology department on Thursday the 27th.  That will be with a better ultrasound machine and hopefully we will be able to get a better measurement.  I also have a follow up with the NP that I dont like on Feb 3rd.  If everything turns out OK, I think I will ask if my favorite doc has returned.

My White Blood Cells were a little elevated - she didnt seem too concerned, in fact she wouldn't have mentioned it to me.  I asked about it and she said it could be anything as long as it does not stay that way (um, she didnt recheck) but Dr. Google did tell me that it can be elevated in pregnancy, so I guess that is OK.

So right now it is a waiting game . . . I should get automated results as soon as they are available, but I'm not sure if the lab works on Sunday or if I have to wait for Monday.  We also discussed it and we think that she didnt really try to hard to get a good CRL measurement.  While she was doing it we saw for a second a shape that was somewhat human, although the pic she gave us looks more like a blob.  I think she could have easily been off by a mm or two, so I have a good feeling about my appointment on the 27th.

Oh, and my DH (Dear Husband for those who don't know the acronyms) is a little overwhelmed by this process - he hasn't spent months on babycenter like me has looked very closely at the ultrasound and has tried to figure out what all the letters and numbers are on there.  He looked at it before bed on Friday (after the appointment) and then he looked at it again on Saturday - it is currently on his nightstand - how cute is that :-)  I want to get it so I can scan it and attach it here, but he has kindof been hogging it which  I think is so adorable (shhh, don't tell him or he will get self conscious about it).

I am just hoping that this little one sticks . . .  



They wanted me to do a 1 hour glucose test, but I postponed.  I know I should do it, but at the time I was rushing and starving and didnt want to sit around for an hour or to have weird results because I hadnt eaten yet (they didnt tell me to fast or anything).  But now I want to wait to make sure the little one is ok before I do that.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Cyndee, I tried to find you on BBC, and then came across your blog. Wanted to see you you are doing. I hope your ultrasound went ok today. Thinking of you,
    Susan (aka, snuze on BBC)

    ReplyDelete